How do we ensure we secure the best sales people for our business?
The key for those hiring is to “try before you buy”. In the “good old days”, a business would not hire a typist without conducting a typing test. A professional sporting organisation will not secure an athlete now without watching them compete. Logic would therefore suggest we should watch a sales person sell to confirm their skills, prior to appointing them.Two methods to consider
Approach and hire skilled sales people who currently sell to your business
Two methods to consider
- Approach and hire skilled sales people who currently sell to your business
- Run an interview process that exposes and individual’s selling skills and capability
Here are some sales skills to look for and consider during the interview process when hiring sales staff.
- Look for a tailored cover letter with the application
- Regard highly those who ring to talk about the role
- Watch for those who engage with your receptionist
- Strong cold callers can strike up conversations with strangers
- Initially interview in small groups as confident sales executives thrive on competition
- Create opportunities for small presentations to experience their communication skills & ability to “think on their feet”
- It is vital to establish if a potential sales team member has effective progression skills. The quality sales individual with be proactive between meetings
- Towards the end of your process, have candidates present a broad three month plan, should they secure the role. Dynamic sales performers can build a sound territory plan
- Value those who wish to negotiate a stronger remuneration package. They are less likely to concede on price when selling for you.
Need a documented, step by step system for hiring sales staff.?
The Sales Coach Online has numerous templates for sales leaders and sales training courses for sales staff.